Thursday, June 17, 2010

For the love of Indian Mangoes !


I had gone y'day to a hypermarket and got all these mangoes - help!! the season is ending. My perennial favorites are of course Banganapalli, Raspuri & Malgova - you don't get Raspuri in Andhra, it's available abundantly in Mysore/Bangalore areas - It has a very rich flavor of it's own and has a reddish-orange pulp. I also like Chinna & Pedda Rasalu - excellent taste indeed.

I also got Himayat, which is a native cultivar of Hyderabad developed during the Nizam times. I read some history about it years ago, but unable to trace it back on the web. It has a rich flavor and looks like a cross between Alphonso and possibly Banganapalli (Benisha). It's freaking expensive these days ranging about 100/- a kilo (2 fruits at max) and available only at few places. Not a great fan of it though.

I don't like Mallika (above), but I got it for the heck of variety. I also don't like Langada and Dasheri - they all lose hands down to Banganapalli and Badami. I found that Malgova unlike what is available in Mysore/Bangalore is not as sweet, probably it has added chemicals to enhance the ripening.

1 comment:

Nayan said...

Its great to see a consolidated gathering of so many mango-varieties on a single shot!

I always get mixed up while trying to decipher the name of the variety :)